Deirdre Rodeberg, Ph.D. is a graduate of our Behavioral and Integrative Neuroscience (BIN) program in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience. She is currently a Medical Writer at MedThink SciCom.

In her current role, Deirdre develops scientific communication materials, writes primary publications, and assists with strategic projects for pharmaceutical companies.

Her path to becoming a Medical Writer started here at Carolina. “The BIN Program provided me with a solid foundation for research skills, scientific integrity, and opportunities for writing and communication,” Deirdre shares. “Additionally, throughout grad school, I actively participated in the UNC TIBBS (Training Initiatives in Biomedical and Biological Sciences) career development program, such as the Science Writing and Communication Club.”

Obtaining a doctoral degree in Psychology and Neuroscience does not necessarily mean a career in academia; many paths are available to our doctoral alumni. For students current pursuing a Ph.D., Deirdre advises, “Start exploring your career options early! You can do so much with a Ph.D. these days, and the sooner you find your passion, the easier it will be when you’re a fifth- or sixth-year and about to graduate. UNC has a fantastic career development program that grew exponentially when I was a grad student. Be sure to take your time over your years here to truly find your passion. There is plenty of time!”

Our Behavioral and Integrative Neuroscience Program offers a weekly seminar program for graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty. Leading scientists from other institutions, as well as the non-profit and private sector, are often invited to give a talk about their innovative research and work. Each semester, the seminar covers professional development and careers inside and outside academia and, as a result, Deirdre discovered the field of medical writing early on in her graduate career. She says, “I was so enamored by the description of medical writing because it merged two of my biggest loves: science and writing. I was blown away that this could be my career! I had always loved writing since childhood, and the fact that I could combine it with my love of science really drove me to pursue this career.”

At MedThink SciCom, Deirdre is often working on multiple projects that have a wide range of scientific subjects. She shares, “I love that every day is different! My focus in graduate school was in neuroscience, but nowadays I am continually learning about new disease states. I also enjoy the fast-paced nature of the job. Most of all, though, I love my teammates! Medical writing is very much a teamwork-based career, and my coworkers are incredibly supportive and make each day fun.”

Our Meet an Alum series spotlights alumni from our six doctoral programs in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, including Behavioral & Integrative Neuroscience, Clinical Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Quantitative Psychology, and Social Psychology.

Graduates from our Department are part of an extraordinary roster of alumni. We’re proud of our alumni and their accomplishments as knowledgeable leaders in their fields. Become inspired by the possibilities and meet more of our alumni online!